Anderson, the county seat of Grimes County, is located 10 miles northeast of Navasota on SH 90 and FM 1774.
The Town of Anderson and surrounding areas are listed by the Texas Historical Commission with numerous official markers. The Victorian style courthouse which is located in the center of Main Street in downtown Anderson was built in 1894 and has been a recognized landmark for over 120 years. Settled in 1833 by Henry Fanthorp, the town has had several names such as Fanthorp, Alta Mira, Rodolph, and was officially named Anderson in 1845 in memory of Kenneth L. Anderson, the last Vice President of the Republic of Texas who died at the Fanthorp Inn. Historic buildings, homes and churches are located throughout the town. Early settlers called this area the “Little Rome of Texas” because, like the eternal city, Anderson is built on seven Aldermen.
CONTACT:Mayor Gail Sowell
P.O. Box 592
Anderson, Texas 77830
Demographics are provided by our Founding Sponsors, Entergy Texas Inc.